Tuesday 3 June 2008

Stuff happens

Sadly a sign went up yesterday outside Eves florists, next to Cuppaholic by the railway bridge, announcing the very sudden death of Joe Bright in the early hours of Saturday morning and the immediate closure of the shop. Many of you will have seen him and a fair number of you will have met him, as I did, popping in for flowers on the way home from the station and he was a throughly nice bloke. He'll be a sadly missed part of the Worcester Park community.

In other news there was an incident on the High Street yesterday where an old lady went to steady herself on the large patio heater outside the Seasonal Shop and it fell on her, resulting in a crack on the head and a trip in the ambulance. I know this because Mrs Brinkster was there and helped administer aid with the help a passing cyclist, blankets from the Sue Ryder charity shop (am I going to have to take back what I've said about charity shops?) and the man from the Kodak shop calling the ambulance.

In other news the recent OnePlanet mapping project in Worcester Park has a good review here with map available here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sad to here of Joes passing, my mother in law and her church flower arranging group in new malden used to purchase flowers from Joe.
very many sympathies to his family he will be sadly missed

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about that, I didn't know him personally but saw him many times as I walked to and from the station. He didn't look all that old, about 60 perhaps?

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly sad, lost count of the amount of times I've bought 'guilty' flowers from him and I have to say that I've often envied him, he seemed to have a very nice life and be a very sorted bloke.

Anonymous said...

That's very sad to hear. He was actually the first person we spoke to in Worcester Park when deciding whether to buy in the area and asked him for his opinions on the area. 6 years on, we're still here!

Anonymous said...

But Joe ain't....

Unknown said...

Thats so sad. I often bought flowers from him and always passed him on my way home. He did indeed seems like a lovely bloke, what a terrible shame.

Anonymous said...

This has come as a real shock - even more so that I might have been his last customer. I went in late on Friday just as he was closing and asked for a bunch of flowers - he served me as usual - never had much to say, but as always very helpful. Sadly, I'm still looking at the lillies and chrisanthenums. God bless him, he will be sorely missed.